Edible Water Bottles are fighting the honest fight of cleaning up the environment by creating a solid effort on getting rid of plastic when it comes to our beverage consumption. They are orbs, or balls, that have started to be produced in the UK at a company called, ‘Ooho’. They are 100% biodegradable and edible capsules created to take plastic out of the situation. Since the Edible Water Bottles aren’t available to us yet for sale we knew we had to make them at home. Felt like scientists in the kitchen on this recipe… We decided to fill our Edible Water Bottles with mountain dew, gatorade, and of course the classic H2O. Give it a try and you decide if it is conventional or not.
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Sodium Alginate: http://amzn.to/2pHwPr7
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Calcium Chloride: http://amzn.to/2pHwPr7
- Food Dye or Water Flavor
- Mountain Dew, Gatorade, Etc
- Spherical Molds: http://amzn.to/2rnGDny
- Slotted Spoon
- 1 Small Bowl
- 2 Lg Bowls
- Blender or Whisk
- Blend 4 Cups Water with 1 tsp Sodium Alginate, pour into a large bowl, cover and set aside for 15 minutes to overnight to get rid of the bubbles.
- Combine 4 Cups of Water (or mountain dew) with 1 tsp Calcium Lactate or Chloride and stir for 3 minutes until combined.
- Freeze your Calcium Lactate or Chloride mixture in ice tray or spherical ice molds. Feel free to add food dye and/or flavor to the water.
- Once you have frozen your soda solutions put them carefully into your sodium alginate solution making sure none of the ice cubes touch. Carefully spoon on sodium alginate onto the ice cubes and make sure they are all coated. You will start to see a film appear outside of your cubes.
- Once you see the film form, use a slotted spoon and carefully take it out and place it in a separate water bath. This will stop the chemical reaction.
- Let the liquid melt in full and then you will be able to take the edible water bottle out and hold it in your hand to drink.
- Extra Tip: You can also make jello in a spherical mold and dip it in the sodium alginate and you will have a spherical mold that keeps its shape