Hearty Italian Bread Ingredients
515 Calories per Sandwich
Step 1: Make Dough
- Combine 1 Cup Warm Water, 1 Tbsp Yeast, 1 Tbsp White Granulated Sugar, 1-1/2 Tsp Salt & 1/4 Cup Olive Oil into a big mixing bowl. Let it stand for about 5-10 minutes so the yeast can begin to ferment.
- Slowly add in All Purpose Flour until the consistency of the dough is not sticky. If you do not have a mixture, then I'm sorry.
- Once the dough has been mixed throughly, now it's time to kneed the dough, but simply folding it over and pressing your knuckles into the dough, repeating this step several times.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place back into the bowl and sprinkle lightly with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let this sit for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Transform Your Dough
- Cut the dough into 4 equal lengths and roll them out until they are about 9-10 inches in length
- Grease up some parchment paper on a baking pan and sprinkle corn meal on top.
- Place the rolls onto the corn meal and cover with greased up plastic wrap.
- Keep it in a warm spot and let it rise until it's double in size. This takes about an hour in a warm area.
- Once your dough has risen, spray down the tops of the rolls and sprinkle more corn meal onto the tops. Note: Egg whites work better at sticking the corn meal to the bread.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once out of the oven make sure to spray the bread down again to keep the bread soft and moist as it cools down.
Step 3: Prep Toppings & Meat
- For the Sriracha Aioli, I used 1.5 part Mayonnaise, 1 part Sriracha. So about 1.5 Tbsp to 1 Tbsp and mixed it up good. Then I chilled it in the fridge before use.
- Grill up your Tyson Frozen Chicken. A lot of the sodium does come from the Tyson chicken. It's always best to go fresh, which is ironic because Subway's modo is "Eat Fresh" and their chicken looks worse than Tyson's Frozen Chicken...
- As for toppings for this recipe I used tomatoes, red onion, green peppers & pepper jack cheese. I recommend using jalapenos because of the spice! I went with these toppings strictly to go along with Subway's Advertised Picture. That way we can compare!
- Cut the roll open and spray down with oil & pre-heat the oven to Broil.
- Once the oven is hot enough, toast the bread for 3 minutes.
Step 4: Build
Variations on this recipe are allowed but not recommended.
I always say a video says everything. If you have trouble following this recipe, please watch the link below for a very detailed description! Enjoy :)