So Burger King as establishments called Whopper Bars and in New York City you can get this crazy thing and the only thing crazier is that costs only $12.99. I dunno how it’s that cheap… cows must be Mexican or something, I dunno. Either way, this recipe will show you how to make a massively large bun and also be able to grill and flip a giant 9″ diameter ALL BEEF patty.
580 Calories Per Serving
1 Burger Makes 6 Servings
Prep: 20 Minutes
Bake @ 375°F: 25 Minutes
Grill @ 350°F: 5-10 Minutes per Side
- 2 Lbs 80/20 Ground Beef
- 6 Slices American Cheese
- 6 Slices White Onions
- 6 Slices Tomato
- 6 Leafs of Lettuce
- 18 Dill Pickle Chips
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- ½ Cup Flour
- 1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast (red packet)
- 1 Cup Hot Water (105°F)
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 2 Tbsp White Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2-1/2 Cups Flour (add more if necessary)
- Egg Wash
- Sesame Seeds
- To make our big ass bun, first start by mixing in a big bowl your active dry yeast packet (1 Tbsp), ½ Cup All Purpose Flour & 1 Cup of Hot Water. Roughly 105°F.
- Whisk and wait 15 minutes or until the mixture turns thick and foamy.
- Add in 1 Egg, 3 Tbsp Melted Butter, 2 Tbsp Sugar and 1 Tsp Salt.
- Mix together completely before adding in 2-1/2 Cups of Flour, Mix on low speed and slowly add in more flour as necessary until you get a sticky, but not sticky, but not dry consistency.
- Once well combined take your dough out of the mixer and put into a clean bowl with some oil. Cover with tin foil and let rise for 2 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Now take your dough out, shape into a round ball, oil up a large cake pan and then press it down into the cake pan forming your giant bun. Make your press it out until its roughly 9" diameter and let this rest covered for an additional hour or until it doubles in size.
- Take 1 beaten egg and lightly brush on the entire top surface of the bun. Sprinkle on sesame seeds and bake for 25 minutes at 375°F.
- Grill the burger patty for roughly 10 minutes per side using something heavy to keep the burger from curling. In this situation a flame hitting the beef on both sides would be ideal, but most people don't have something like this so we're going to use a thin pizza pan to help flip.
- The New York Pizza Burger actually has pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce and a Tuscan pesto sauce, but we didn't know that when we made it. We layered ours with the traditional Whopper toppings.
- Once you've assembled this thing, slice into sixth's, which is kinda tricky because you have to cut it at an angle and without a protractor it could be cumbersome.
- There you have it guys, another giant thing nobody should be making. But if you have a group of friends and you like taking pictures of food... by all means this is certainly acceptable to make.
Total Fat 144g
Total Carbs -g
Dietary Fiber -g