Julia & I have had a hard time coming up with a name for this thing, so we went with a Meatball Split even though the meatball is not split, it’s better than calling it a breadstick split b/c this video isn’t about breadsticks, it’s mainly about the meatballs. Actually it’s mainly about the concept of making an iconic dessert (the banana split) look like a savory dish. So anyway, you can go about this recipe however you like but at the end of the day we made an Italian meal look like a banana split.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 1 Breadstick
- 3 Meatballs
- Marinara Sauce
- Country Gravy
- Beef Gravy
- Ricotta Cheese Topping
- 1 Cherry Tomato
- Fresh Parsley, Basil & Oregano
- Meatball Ingredients:
- 1/2 Lb Beef or ½ Lb Sausage or ½ Lb Turkey
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Parsley
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Dried Onions
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup Parmesan
- ¼ Cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- Julia's New Pan: http://amzn.to/1NsMnQw
- Mr. Pig or Spoon: http://amzn.to/1QxNbYI
- Combine meatball ingredients into a big bowl and mix. Make sure you use each meat separately along with the listed ingredients. This will make three different meatballs easier to make with the same ingredients swapping out meat choices. You can opt to go with your own meatball recipe as well, this is just a suggestion.
- My technique for meatballs is similar to searing steak. 1 minute per side all around on high heat to give it a nice color and then into the oven (400°F) until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- I heated up three of the sauces, again this is totally up to you what you want to dress your balls with. I choose these as conceptual inspiration.
- With the ricotta cheese we decided to season it a bit with salt, pepper, garlic and fresh herbs.
- To build your Meatball split, slice a breadstick in half the long way and put your three meatballs in between. Add on your three sauces and pipe on the ricotta cheese mixture finishing it off with a cherry tomato on top.