Watch Julia make Pho from scratch and JP complain during this intense copycat recipe that turns into a food challenge at the end. Can JP eat it all? Can Julia handle JP complaining? FIND OUT NOW!!!
Prep: 12 hours
Cook: 12 hours
- 4 lbs beef soup bones
- 1 onion, unpealed cut in half
- 5 slices fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 pods star anise
- 2½ Tbsp fish sauce
- 4 quarts water
- 1(8oz) package dried rice noodles
- 1½ pounds beef top sirloin, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp chopped green onion
- 1½ cups bean sprouts
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup hoisen sauce
- ⅓ cup Sriracha
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Roast beef bones on a baking sheet in the preheated oven until brown (1 hour)
- Roast onions on baking sheet in the preheated oven until blackened and soft (45 minutes)
- Place bones, onion, ginger, salt, star anise, and fish sauce in a large stockpot and cover with 4 quarts of water. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 9+ hours. Strain the broth into a saucepan and set aside.
- Place noodles in a large bowl and fill with room temperature water and allow to soak. Read the directions on your rice noodle package. Soaking time varies per brand.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and after the noodles have soaked, place them in the boiling water for 1 minute. Bring stock to a simmer.
- For the Giant Pho, place all of your noodles in 1 GIANT bowl (or split the noodles into several bowls). Top with sirloin, cilantro, and green onion. Pour hot broth over the top. Stir and let sit until the beef is partially cooked and no longer pink (1 to 2 minutes). Serve with bean sprouts, basil, lime wedges, hoisen sauce, and sriracha.