I have a deep passionate love for Popeyes, so this brings me so much joy to be able to make this at home, minus the whole eating a Ghost Pepper thing. This infamous pepper has gotten a lot of fast food attention lately, but due to the small amount used in their recipes I don’t quite see the point. In the HellthyJunkFood test kitchen we bring the heat so sit back, relax and enjoy our pain.
530 Calories Per 6 Wings
Prep: 10 min
Fry: 8-12 min
- Package of Chicken Wings (skin on, not frozen)
- Zatarain's Crispy Southern Frying Mixture
- Ghost Peppers (qty 6-100)
- Celery (Optional)
- Bleu Cheese (Optional, but helps)
- Seasoned Flour Mixture:
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 6 - 12 Ground Ghost Chili Peppers
- Process your chicken wings with the following intricate steps:
- Find the joint
- Cut the skin around the joint
- Dislocate the joint to show the bones split from eachother
- Cut in between the two bones that split to separate the two pieces from eachother
- Repeat the same steps with the creepy appendage thingy
- Soak your chicken pieces in buttermilk for an hour
- Mix together your seasoned flour mixture
- Grind up as many or as few ghost peppers as you feel like in a food processor. I am not responsible for whatever you decide to do with these peppers. Use at your own risk.
- Add the ground up ghost pepper flakes to the seasoned flour mixture. Use gloves if handling to prevent destroying yourself. If you don't have gloves then make sure you don't touch your body.
- Toss the chicken from the buttermilk into your flour, back into your buttermilk and one more time in your flour to get a nice coating.
- Deep fry at 365°F for 8-12 minute or until fully cooked on the inside.
- Serve with Bleu Cheese and other Milk products. Have an anti-acid tablet on hand. Have all emergency numbers near by and a sober friend to help out.
Total Fat 84g
Total Carbs 48g
Dietary Fiber 6g