On another episode of HellthyJunkFood we compete against each other to see who can make the best pancakes. Julia creates souffle’ pancakes, AKA fluffy pancakes, and JP experiments in deep frying pancakes. Which recipe is the best? Make sure to vote on the poll on the Youtube video.
Ever since we got a chance to taste Japanese Fluffy pancakes Julia has been convinced they are the best. This recipe is so light and fluffy and by far a superior pancake to the traditional pancake.
- ¾ cup + 1 tbsp Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg Yolk + 3 Egg Whites
- 2 tbsp melted Butter
- 1 /2 cup + 4 tbsp Buttermilk
- 2½ tbsp Sugar ( to add to the egg whites)
- Zest of ¼ of a Lemon ( if you're not adding lemon zest add 1 tsp vanilla) DO NOT skip the flavorings.
- ¼ tsp Cream of Tartar or ½ tsp Lemon Juice
- Start with whisking together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, 1 egg yolk, and butter milk in large bowl.
- In a stand mixer whisk together egg whites. Add in cream of tartar and sugar.
- Once stiff peaks form fold this mixture gently into the pancake base.
- Pan sear in a covered greased mold until bubbles start to appear on top. About 5 minutes per side.
- Top with whipped cream and syrup. Enjoy!
JP loves to deep fry everything and his “a’ha moment” was real when he decided to take the pancake and batter to deep fry. These pancakes tasted like a wonderful circus treat.
- 1-½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3-½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1-¼ cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp butter
- Vanilla cream sherry
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ¾ Cup whole milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Graham Crackers
- Chocolate chips
- Electric Griddle: http://amzn.to/2iXsbPz
- Kitchen Aid Food Processor https://amzn.to/2JamxIZ
- Deep Fryer: http://amzn.to/2nHDBe6
- HJF Cutting Board: http://bit.ly/2Eyhr3R
- HJF Apron: http://bit.ly/2Ez9Cz0
- Make pancake batter by whisking together all pancake ingredients.
- In a preheated skillet at medium high heat make the pancakes by cooking a 1 cup scoop about 5 minutes per side.
- Mix together sweet batter ingredients and blitz any topping you like ie Oreos or Graham Crackers.
- Bread the pancake with the sweet batter and then the topping.
- Deep fry at 350°F for 5 minutes.