This user submitted recipe comes from +dRRE who was patiently waiting for us to finally do this. Well it didn’t quite go the way we wanted to, but we’ll show you the good, the bad and the ugly throughout our trials and tribulations of creating this interesting thing.
1100 Calories Per Corn Dog
Makes About 3 Giant Corn Dogs
Prep: 10 minutes
Rest: 30 minutes
Fry @ 375°F: 2 minutes per side
- Hot Dogs
- French Fries
- Wooden Skewers
- American Cheese (optional)
- Bacon (optional)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 4 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ⅛ Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- Deep Fryer: http://amzn.to/1MRHIG5
- Mix all your dry ingredients from the Corn Batter in a large bowl. In a smaller separate bowl, whisk 1 Cup Milk & 1 Egg.
- Mix the two together until well combined and then let this mixture rest for 30 minutes.
- Partially fry your french fries for half the time instructed on the package.
- Screwer your hot dogs with a stick. It's easiest to stand your hot dog up on one end and then impale it in the center with your skewer.
- We got stupid and decided to wrap it in cheese and bacon and then dunk it into the corn batter. It didn't work that well, but we managed.
- We put the batter in a tall glass, but I don't think that really helped. You can keep it in the bowl and just roll your hot dog into the batter that way.
- Afterwards you can hand place french fries onto the batter, but we found an even easier method is to lay the fries on parchment or wax paper and then roll your battered hot dog into the fries and rolling the paper around the hot dog and freezing it for a few minutes to let it firm up.
- Deep fry for 2 minutes per side at 375°F.
- It doesn't look pretty, but it actually tastes good. Unfortunately for our online food channel we need the food to look good, but you at home can enjoy an interesting combination without having to impress anyone.